Michael Schostok was a husband and a father, with three incredible children and a brilliant legal career. In early April 2011 Michael began experiencing some health issues, namely, lack of peripheral vision, difficulty recalling words and remembering past events. On April 11, 2011, Michael had an MRI, and was immediately diagnosed with an inoperable Glioblastoma Brain Tumor. The fear was indescribable.
Over the next 15 months Michael received radiation, chemotherapy, Avastin and other medications to treat the tumor and its side effects. Michael and his family consulted with several specialists throughout the country in search of a cure for this horrible disease. Unfortunately, Michael lost his battle on July 16, 2012, just 15 months after his diagnosis. While no cure currently exists, dedicated researchers and their supporters continue to make progress in the fight against brain cancer.
During those 15 months, Michael and his family came to understand how quickly the demands of treatment and financial pressures could challenge patients and their journey with the disease. Within a year of Michael's passing, his family started The Michael Matters Foundation in hopes of assisting brain cancer patients and their families who need financial assistance during their difficult journey with brain cancer.
- Marisa Schostok Buckley, ESQ, President – Associate, Dudley & Lake LLC
- Matthew L. Williams, ESQ, Vice President – Partner, Salvi Schostok & Pritchard
- Richard H. Kolb, Jr., Treasurer – Managing Partner, Inspirion Wealth Advisors, LLC
- Jackie Bange, Secretary - Journalist, reporter and weekend anchor, WGN News at Nine.
- Justice Mary S. Schostok – Appellate Court Judge, 2nd District Appellate Court
- Thomas H. Saye Jr. (TJ) - Chief Operating Officer, Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard.
- William E. Krauss, MD - Attending Neurological Surgeon, Mayo Clinic in Rochester (MN) and Professor in Neurological Surgery, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine.
- Louis C. Cairo, ESQ – Managing Partner, Goldberg Weisman Cairo
- Michael Tancredi, JD – Marketing Manager, General Dynamics IT
- Ryan Thomas Merrell, MD - Attending Neurological Surgeon, Evanston (IL) Hospital and clinical Assistant Professor, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine.
- Vivian Afrik, M.E.